Monday, Jun 18, 2018
One of America's Great Newspapers ~ Toledo, Ohio

Editorials

Bishop Tough Guy

  • CTY-sunshine19p-2

    Toledo Bishop Daniel Thomas

    The Blade
    Buy This Image

  • n4church-jpg

    St. Anthony Catholic Church at Nebraska and Junction Avenues in Toledo.

    THE BLADE/DAVE ZAPOTOSKY
    Buy This Image

It may come as no sur­prise that a Cath­o­lic bishop, as Mr. Doo­ley re­marked of the Supreme Court, “fol­lows the elec­tion re­turns.”

Bish­ops, in­clud­ing the bishop of Rome, have to have po­lit­i­cal an­ten­nae.

RELATED: Diocese of Toledo offers compromise to preserve St. Anthony Church

And Bishop Daniel Tho­mas of Toledo was fac­ing a PR di­sas­ter and, worse, loss of con­fi­dence in him on the part of Toledo Cath­o­lics, if he tore down St. An­thony Church, es­pe­cially with­out even meet­ing with preser­va­tion­ists.

Now he has met with two of them and laid down the law. He’s made an of­fer for sav­ing St. An­thony — a cou­ple of them. His first of­fer was the kind of of­fer a New York real es­tate de­vel­oper, or some­one with an even rougher and tougher back­ground might make: I will not tear the church down if Mayor Wade Kaps­zuk­ie­w­icz and U.S. Rep. Marcy Ka­ptur take pos­ses­sion and re­spon­si­bil­ity for it, and they pay the cost of can­celing the dem­o­li­tion — $285,000 from the city and $70,000 from Miss Kap­tur for re­mov­ing dem­o­li­tion fenc­ing.

Oh, and one more thing: The mayor and the mem­ber of Con­gress would have un­til Thurs­day — to­day — to take the deal.

That’s an in­ter­est­ing ap­proach to spir­i­tual and com­mu­nity lead­er­ship.

It was def­i­nitely an “or else,” of­fer — as if a cou­ple of burly mon­signors with brass knuck­les were wait­ing in the wings.

David Mann, of the Land Bank, wrote back to the bishop say­ing that was an of­fer “that no rea­son­able party could ac­cept” and mak­ing a counter of­fer: That the di­o­cese al­low city of­fi­cials 15 busi­ness days to in­spect the build­ing’s con­di­tion, and then do­nate the prop­erty to the Land Bank along with a sum of $300,000 to­ward its preser­va­tion.

After all, tak­ing down the build­ing will cost, ac­cord­ing to Mr. Mann, $700,000 to $900,000.

Late Wed­nes­day, the bishop made a sec­ond of­fer. He offered to ab­sorb all the can­cel­la­tion and clean-up costs. But no cash. And the Land Bank still has only until today to decide.

The bishop will still be ahead by about half-a-mil­lion.

So, the two sides may split the dif­fer­ence. And that’s prob­a­bly the best the com­mu­nity can do.

The main thing is that we have move­ment and an open­ing to save the church. The bishop has opened the door and shown that he is will­ing to lis­ten and help pre­serve this his­toric Toledo build­ing.

Click here to view more Blade editorials

The lead­ers of the preser­va­tion move­ment, the lead­ers of Toledo, can do this.

The other good news is that early signs point to an es­sen­tially sound, sav­able, us­able build­ing.

We are on the verge of a big win for the city, and even for tough guy Danny Tho­mas.

Click to comment

Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem?

Temporibus autem quibusdam et aut officiis debitis aut rerum necessitatibus saepe eveniet.

Copyright © 2018 Toledo Blade

To Top

Fetching stories…